Saturday, February 11, 2012

Oatmeal Molasses Quick Bread





I cant tell you how thrilled I am to post about this recipe.  I came across this type of bread while perusing the World Wide Web of Food-Information Overload, and upon reading this recipe, my skepticism of its simplicity made me get up from my seat and make it in my kitchen right then.  Really, it's true.  I had to see if it would actually work, and taste good.  And oh, did it so.

The result was a bread that took me probably 7 minutes to put together, with all ingredients that I had in my cabinet and fridge, and in measurements that are so easy to remember that I don't have to use a recipe anymore when I make this.  It has whole grain flours - whole wheat and rye - and is speckled with whole rolled oats, which makes it a powerhouse for the heart and soul.  The only sweeteners are honey and molasses, and buttermilk, my favorite, moistens the bread and balances the flavors wonderfully.  Hearty but not dense, sweet but not sugary.  Perfect for toast, heavenly with butter or cream cheese.

I want to be honest with you here... I almost kept this bread a deep dark secret of mine to keep in my culinary back pocket.  But alas, here I am... for you.  Make it, enjoy it, share it.  ...for me.





Oatmeal Molasses Quick Bread
Apparently I really like bread, particularly when it involves oats and molasses.  You can find a similar Quick Bread type of recipe here that uses oats, or a slightly more complex yeasted bread here that also uses oats and molasses (It's one of my all time favorites.  I consider this recipe below it's little brother since they have similar flavors; but I make this quick bread when I'm too impatient to wait for rising dough).  


Ingredients


1 cup rolled oats
1 cup rye flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (see Tip below)
1/4 cup honey, can substitute sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 tablespoon vegetable oil





Method


Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x5" bread loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or coat with butter or oil.  

Mix together flours, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix milk, honey, oil and molasses. 



Stir wet and dry ingredients together just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Don't overmix or bread will be tough.

Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake, about 45-60 minutes, or until no wet crumbs stick to a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf.


Let cool for a few minutes, then remove from pan. Slice when cool.  
(I try every time, but I don't know if ill ever make it that long...)




TIP: No buttermilk in the fridge? Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice for each cup of milk, let sit a few minutes until milk begins to coagulate.  Yes, that's what buttermilk is...soured milk! mmm

No comments:

Post a Comment